11.16.2006

Solo Skiing



I have found that one of the most soulful skiing experiences is skiing on your own. Although I enjoy skiing with others (and the benefits of that type of ski experience will be the subject of my next post), skiing on your own is a deeply meaningful experience. No one to impress, no one to fall behind, no one to hold you back. Just you one-on-one with the mountain.

I find that the alternation between single minded focus on skiing your best and the time spent either alone on the chair or meeting like minded chair-mates is a unique dichotomy that allows for getting in touch with yourself in a world where that is increasingly difficult to do without distraction. I do some of my best thinking when on a solo ski trip and have met some great friends that way as well. After all, skiing is at its core a solitary activity.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I could not agree more. Solo skiing is my stress-reliever. It allows me to disconnect from the rest of my life (in a positive way) and seek my own Naturalist refuge in the snow. The relaxing feeling of simply being out on your own and skiing at your own pace and for your own pleasure is unparalleled.

Come read my new ski instruction blog at http://skiblog-skiblog.blogspot.com/ for some skill tips. Hopefully we can all learn something. I would love to get your comments and questions!

Dave
PSIA Ski Instructor
http://skiblog-skiblog.blogspot.com/